Re: Debian BSD minor projects

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 10:00:02PM -0400, Nathan Hawkins wrote:
> >   * Port and package UFS mkfs and fsck for Linux. Hurd might use this as
> >   well. Might be issues with differences between the BSD's. FreeBSD has
> >   some recent features that may not be in Net or Open. (Soft updates,
> >   snapshotting, etc.) I'm not sure if those would cause problems.
> >
> >everyone has soft updates, but snapshots are freebsd only at
> >this stage as far as i know....  they shouldn't affect your
> >uses, but i could be wrong.
>
> I'm not sure exactly how far the code has diverged. If I run NetBSD's
> fsck or newfs on FreeBSD, would it confuse FreeBSD? Would it work the
> other way round? Maybe someone who dual-boots them could answer that.

the GNU system has a forked version of UFS fsck and mkfs already, it
was taken from BSD sources and adapted by Thomas Bushnell, and
currently being maintained by the Hurd team. It's in dirs ufs-* of the
Hurd cvs:

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/download.html

last time i tried it didn't build on GNU/Linux, but it should play nice with
both GNU and BSD C libraries.

i think a standalone debian package for all kernels would be the best. if
you take it, please notify bug-hurd@gnu.org and debian-hurd@debian.org
mailing lists.

perhaps the new features can be merged into this, too.

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992