Re: Starting with Debian/NetBSD

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:15:19PM +0200, Xavier de Labouret wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to start testing Debian/NetBSD.
>
> 1) What is the best way to start from scratch? Is the chroot tarball
> available on www.debian.org still the best way to step in, followed by an
> apt-get update/dist-upgrade?

Sort of. There isn't really a lot that's apt-gettable, and the chroot
tarball is based on a now-outdated release. I'm currently working on
building a system based on the just-tagged 1.6 release, and hoping to
release it as soon as it has basically all of the packages marked either
Essential: yes or Priority: required.

> 2) Would it be interesting to generate a new chroot tarball, maybe on a
> regular basis? If so i would be happy to do it myself, even if i could
> need just a little help in this task.

I intend to update the apt archive at debian-bsd.lightbearer.com once
the above project is done.

> 3) I have been using Debian Linux for some years, Linux for more, and am
> still a little new to NetBSD. Is there any way i can concretely help this
> project (apart from using Debian/NetBSD on a regular basis?)

Use it. Work on porting packages, work in teams if you need help doing
that for a bit, to get experience. Fair warning, things are still very
primitive, even with all the efforts; a great many Debian packages need
serious patching to build, and we aren't really a well-'recognized' port
(I've had at least a couple of people refuse to patch based on us not
being a 'real port' yet).

You should also look into the Debian/NetBSD install disks that were
posted a bit back (check the archives). They're probably the easiest way
to get a new system up and running, even minimally, unless you're
experienced with working in system chroots already.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/