Re: Starting with Debian/NetBSD

On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 09:15:19PM +0200, Xavier de Labouret wrote:

> 1) What is the best way to start from scratch? Is the chroot tarball
> available on www.debian.org still the best way to step in, followed by an
> apt-get update/dist-upgrade?

Nope. Your best bet is to get the install floppies from
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/debian-netbsd/floppies/ - they'll install a
(roughly) working system.

> 2) Would it be interesting to generate a new chroot tarball, maybe on a
> regular basis? If so i would be happy to do it myself, even if i could
> need just a little help in this task.

Now that the install floppies work, it's probably not necessary. The
chroot method of dealing with things was a bit of a hack.

> 3) I have been using Debian Linux for some years, Linux for more, and am
> still a little new to NetBSD. Is there any way i can concretely help this
> project (apart from using Debian/NetBSD on a regular basis?)

Yes. Read the list, try to rebuild packages, suggest ways of making things
that don't work work :)

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org