Re: Debian BSD minor projects

matthew green wrote:
* UFS detection in fsck. fsck is actually a wrapper that tries to detect the filesystem, and DTRT. It would be helpful if it could identify UFS, and run fsck.ufs, like it does with all the Linux filesystems.

FWIW, in netbsd fsck(8) is a front end to fsck_ffs(8) and others.

Debian's using fsck from e2fsprogs, and it tries to figure out what filesystem looking at the disk (there's a table with offsets and magic numbers), and then run the right fsck.

* Port and package UFS mkfs and fsck for Linux. Hurd might use this as well. Might be issues with differences between the BSD's. FreeBSD has some recent features that may not be in Net or Open. (Soft updates, snapshotting, etc.) I'm not sure if those would cause problems.

everyone has soft updates, but snapshots are freebsd only at
this stage as far as i know....  they shouldn't affect your
uses, but i could be wrong.

I'm not sure exactly how far the code has diverged. If I run NetBSD's fsck or newfs on FreeBSD, would it confuse FreeBSD? Would it work the other way round? Maybe someone who dual-boots them could answer that.

	---Nathan