Re: Glibc and NetBSD

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 12:50:43PM -0700, Michael Goetze wrote:

> > I have a sufficiently working glibc that I can build binutils and gcc
> > against it and then use them to rebuild a working glibc, but it'll need
> > some work yet before it's even vaguely production ready. The general
> > opinion at Debconf seemed to be that going with glibc was preferable to
> > using BSD libc - does anyone have any comments?
>
> I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but here I go again... I think the C
> library is one of the features Debian people would want to use Debian */*BSD
> for, due to it's various real or perceived advantages. I'd bet that 90% of the
> people screaming at you to use glibc are going to go on using just Debian
> GNU/Linux either way...

Debian has 9000 packages now, and all them are proven to build with the
kernel Linux and the GNU libc. Some are also proven to work with the GNU
Hurd and the GNU libc. Very few are proven to work with the *BSD kernels
and the *BSD libcs.

Basicaly, taking to use a BSDish libc would (at least) triplicate the effort
necessary for building a GNU/*BSD distribution. What kind of advantages
does the BSD libc's have to justify such effort increment?

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992