Re: GCC 3.0.4

On Thu, Mar 28, 2002 at 12:45:23AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> Since 3.0.4 is packaged and allegedly supports i386-netbsdelf, I've been
> playing with building it. As far as I can tell, only two alterations are
> needed:
>
> 1) the g++-cxa-atexit patch doesn't work without libc support, which the
> NetBSD libc doesn't have. Without reverting this, g++ fails to link stuff
> unless -fno-use-cxa-atexit is used.
>
> 2) config.gcc needs to be modified in order to get a shared libgcc. This
> just involves replacing
>
> tmake_file=t-netbsd
>
> with
>
> tmake_file="t-slibgcc-elf-ver t-netbsd"
>
> before configuring.
>
> With those two alterations, the standard packages seem to build happily
> (I've turned off objc and java support due to not having the right garbage
> collection libraries, but everything else seems fine). I haven't run the
> test suite, though, so I'm not sure how useful this is.

I had various other issues, though this seems to 'mostly' work. Given that
GCC 3.1 is supposed to be out shortly, and is *another* ABI change (meaning
'you have to recompile everything that uses C++'), and claims to fix some
bad screwups in the 3.0 ABI... I'm inclined to work on portability testing
with 3.0, but try to do the eventual core with 3.1 once it's packaged (I
note that the 3.0 list I can find does not explicitly mention NetBSD as
supported, anywhere, oddly enough).

In any case, doing that should be trivial if we use 3.0 to do the testing
with. Now, if only I could make NetBSD-current work, or if NetBSD 1.5.2
actually had the headers for stuff... augh.