Re: ifupdown

What did you have to do to it? I looked at it, but didn't have much luck
figuring it out. That source is a horrible mess.

As for the base system:
Take a look at debootstrap. It has lists of packages that it wants to
install. I'm not sure all of them are base exactly, but if debootstrap
wants them, they're probably needed.

Do you have dhcp working?