Re: PAM

On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 10:16:44PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    On a separate note, msyslogd builds happily but uses /dev/log as its
>    socket by default. The NetBSD logging functions seem to be expecting
>    /var/run/log - symlinking the two work, and you can pass an option to
>    msyslog to make it produce /var/run/log instead. What's the preferable way
>    to do this?
>

> the point of /var/run/syslog is so that / has no files written at
> boot time, given that /var is not /.  infact, some of us now run
> with /var/run as an tiny mfs...
>
> not writing to / means that one can have a read-only system, with
> only /var/run being required, and this can be located not on the
> disk filesystem (it's not preserved between reboots.)

I thought sockets weren't affected by read-only filesystem. Just out
of curiousity, why should they be if the node is already there? There'd
be no actual writing to the filesystem. Do fifo's not work either?

> msyslogd should probably have an option to look elsewhere... making
> it use /dev/log again would remove the above feature.  (actually,
> probably lots of other things break it but why make it worse? :-)

Msyslog has the capability. FYI, I believe it's available in /usr/ports.
I know it has a separate module for BSD kernel logs as opposed to Linux
ones. Works well. :-)