Re: make-bsd, pmake, and /usr/share/mk, oh my

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 03:02:26PM +1100, matthew green wrote:

>    So... pmake claims to be "BSD 4.4 make", and in fact appears to be a not-
>    unreasonable copy of the NetBSD make sources. Is there any particular
>    reason that the make-bsd and netbsd-mk packages in the chroot can't be
>    replaced by the Debian-standard pmake package, if it gets updated (it's
>    a few revisions behind, it looks like, but that's a wishlist bug for the
>    author and easy to patch against for us).
>

> i don't know how you're building anything, but it's not exactly uncommon
> for a modern netbsd make to be required to build it.  that's why the first
> thing our shiny new src/build.sh does it build a copy of src/usr.bin/make
> without using make :-)

Uhm. Debian specifies GNU make for all debian/rules files, and pmake is
a Debian package (and thus has a rules file, to build it...)

The point is that the NetBSD chroot has packages for 'make-bsd' and
'netbsd-mk' which provide what appears to be a nearly identical overlap
of files (modulo version differences; pmake's copy is older than the 1.5.2
make sources).

The question was... is there any reason to keep these, or can we simply
declare a build-dependancy on pmake for building the few things we take
from NetBSD sources? (IE, libc, kernel, etc - stuff I'm trying to do the
packages for, now...)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/