Re: thoughts on architectures

On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 05:59:28PM +0100, Andreas Schuldei wrote:
> Markus Brinkmanm (of HURD fame) has written this
> http://master.debian.org/~brinkmd/arch-handling.txt
> which is mandatory reading for us.

You're right, that's a very good document. He's apparently been thinking along
similar lines that I have. There are other problems, like sparc64/32, and ia64
or AMD's 64-bit arch supporting i386, that could be helped by this.

The major oversight is that he completely fails to mention libc. And for us,
that remains a big issue. Right now, and for immediately forseeable future, I'm
not going to be using glibc.

Another one is branding binaries. Linux emulation could be quite useful on *BSD
and maybe hurd, as well. But it would be really helpful if binutils were
altered to do branding. That would help make it possible to install i386 binary
packages directly onto freebsd-i386, given the appropriate libraries in
/compat/linux. There'd be some other headaches, but it could be done. Might
help the Hurd developers, too, if they had it available.

> they (the hurd people) are very interested in working closely
> together with us, simply since we together might have enough
> weight to make debian make more architecture aware. they are
> both highly cooperativ and competent, so we better are nice to
> them. (c:
>
> please give some feedback on that document.

Excellent. I think we're getting to the point where it makes sense to have
those conversations. Perhaps we can all agree to strangle the person who
wrote the docs for dpkg in SGML... ;-)

	---Nathan