Re: Able to put website on debian.org

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 03:03:48AM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 04:06:03PM -0500, Jimmy Kaplowitz wrote:
>
> > Well, I didn't really want to take control of that away from Matthew
> > Garrett.
> > Of course, he could always email me a snapshot and I would put it on the
> > site,
> > if he wants. If that is OK with him, I will go ahead and move the
> > tarball over (or, ideally, put a newer tarball there instead ...
> > possibly in addition to the last one?), but I want to hear that from him
> > directly, so as not to offend him or usurp anything.
>
> Oh, I have no great desire to keep control over the tarball :) The main
> problem with it is that it's really way too big - this weekend I'll try to
> get apt working, try to construct a minimal tarball and then people can
> install and apt-get the rest.

The main problem with this are that apt-get will *not* download things
sanely unless and until *all* dependancy stuff is met properly. Currently
the output of apt-get -s install dpkg:

bash-2.05a# apt-get -s install dpkg
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
Sorry, dpkg is already the newest version.
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
  cfingerd: Depends: netbase (>= 2.00) but it is not installable
  cpp-3.0-doc: Depends: gcc-3.0-base but it is not installable
  g77-3.0-doc: Depends: gcc-3.0-base but it is not installable
  gcj: Depends: gcj-3.0 but it is not installable
       Depends: g++-3.0 but it is not installable
  libpam-cracklib: Depends: cracklib-runtime but it is not installable
  libstdc++2.10-dev: Depends: libc6-dev (>= 2.1.95)
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

(Granted, one or two of these might be my fault for doing dpkg installs
of stuff I compiled, but I believe the ones listed are endemic to the
current tarball - and some number have been fixed because the packages
are now available in the archive)

Things that really probably need to be working before we can do a sane
debootstrap/mini-tarball setup:

adduser (no idea)
base-files (installs sanely except for nsswitch.conf)
dpkg (need patches, possible official adoption)
ncurses (build problems, not yet analyzed)
pam (no idea)
libc/libstdc++ (and the dev packages!)
mawk (build problems involving at least setmode() from unistd.h)
passwd (patched?)
perl (needs netbase)
shellutils (needs a patch to cope with architecture)
slang (Bug filed)
tar (needs rsh stuff, not done yet)
apt (needs sanity fixing?)

> > An updated tarball would be good, I agree :-)
>
> Indeed :)

Agreed.
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/