Re: Debian GNU/NetBSD, some comments..

On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 11:20:51PM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> * Does HURD follow Linux-style semantics, and if not how have they dealt
> with this?
>
> The GNU HURD uses a completely different way, it lacks ifconfig or even
> mount
> and most of communication with the 'kernel' is handled by translators
> (settrans).
>
> You should drop the semantics, there aren't many scripts that call
> ifconfig anyway.

This is not totally true. The Hurd has (a not yet finished) ifconfig,
but it's not the standard way of doing things and not recommended
(we've the translator interface for that). We have other ways of
handling network.

The ifconfig program comes from the GNU inetutils packages and is
written portable as far as you can write an ifconfig program
portable. IIRC it's able to emulate semantics of other ifconfig
programs.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org