Dependancies on libc

Having run into a few packages, now, which have dependancies on specific
GNU libc versions (or rather, libc versions, when all that the packaging
system understands is libc == GNU libc), which compiled just fine under
the NetBSD libc, I come to the following conclusion:

We should request that a provision be made for desginating which libc is
required, from the developer/policy community. As a starting point, I'll
toss out one possible resolution:

Rename the libc-* packages to libc-gnu-* (or gnu-libc-*), and use Provides
headers to "fake" the old names, for a period of time (IE, to allow a grace
period in which packages which depend on libc can change their dependancy
listing). Other libc packages would then be libc-netbsd-* or netbsd-libc-*
in a similar fashion, allowing proper dependancy declarations for any libc
packages which might end up being part of Debian.

Any thoughts? Comments? Spitwads? Is anyone who is actually a formal and
qualified Debian developer willing to take up this cross, or will it be
left to us lowly users? :)
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://users.lightbearer.com/lucifer/