re: Website and library packages

   I'm not quite sure what you mean here. passwd, adduser, chfn and so on
   work in as much as they update /etc/passwd (they all use the libshadow
   functions for this even if you don't compile it as a shared library), but
   NetBSD getpwnam will only use the db format files. What I think we need is
   to modify libshadow to be able to cope with these and make the pw_mkdb
   call once they've added information. It looks like there's some sort of
   basic infrastructure for doing this, so I don't imagine that it'd be too
   difficult.

see libutil; pw_init(3) & friends.