Re: state of the different chroot environments

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 06:29:50PM +0200, Andreas Krennmair wrote:

> In the last few days I again did a little bit of work for Debian BSD. In
> the last 2 months I didn't have any time to look at it, because I first
> had stress in school, then I was an international scout camp, I
> currently working for a software company writing a network-based
> intrusion detection system, which will possibly be open-sourced. I
> just want to ask what the current state of the different chroot
> environments is? AFAICR, there were two, the one running on NetBSD, the
> other one running on FreeBSD. Does any of these already have an included
> gcc and binutils?

I'd got the NetBSD one to the point of having gcc, binutils and a libc,
but the laptop that I was working on has been stolen so work has come to
something of a halt at the moment. I've got some of the packages on
another machine, but I think the gcc ones are probably gone (I finished
them just before moving house and hadn't got round to getting back to them
before my laptop being taken).

> I ask because I wanted to integrate gcc into the
> NetBSD chroot environment, and I didn't even manage to compile it (it
> stopped compiling with a strange error message, namely an assembler
> error message, that some alignment is not the power of 2; I tried both
> the gcc found in /usr/src/gnu and the vanilla 2.95.[23] from
> ftp.gnu.org). So, if anybody can tell me whether any of these has gcc
> or at least can give me a hint how to compile a 2.95.2 gcc on NetBSD,
> I'd be very thankful.

You ought to be able to get 2.95 to compile using the patches that come
with the NetBSD source.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@srcf.ucam.org