Re: Which BSD?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 05:27:26PM +0200, thefly wrote:
> Well i got a question now, finally it seams some1 has decided to do what
> most of us has waited up to know (the ftp/cvs).

It would be helpful if you could go through the archives, find the folks
who have working chroot environments on one of the BSDs, and ask them to
make whatever they have available, no matter how unpolished a state it is
in.  If absolutely nothing else, I have the NetBSD chroot snapshot that
was posted to the list a while back, but I expect there's been some sort
of progress made there.

> I have just one
> question: will the project be developed on a particular BSD os? I mean:
> there are OpenBSD, FreeBSd, NetBSD...

I believe there was interest in packaging up all three of them.  There's
no reason to be exclusive; folks are welcome to work on whatever they
like.  There's a lot of common effort involved; things like apt and dpkg
patches, coordinating with the rest of Debian proper to integrate any
necessary changes, etc.

Personally, I favour NetBSD as:

- AFAIK they're the only BSD with core developers on this list
- they're the only BSD that runs on all of Debian's current target architectures

--
_ivan