Re: libc strategy

Nathan Myers wrote:

> "Now(tm)" would be a good time.  Anybody with a Summer Vacation can
> go ahead and start packaging things Right Now.  There's no need for
> more talk; it's clear what has to happen, and either somebody just
> does it, or the project will have to be considered vaporware again.
>
> To get started: if you don't have NetBSD, install a minimal system.
> It's easy.
>
> Start Debianizing core BSD kernel-related packages.  Port dpkg, apt,
> and the package build tools.  Start replacing raw binaries by unpacking
> your Debianized versions.  Phase 1 is complete when all the binaries
> in the minimal system were unpacked from .deb files.
>
> For Phase 2, port the Debain installer.  For phase 3, start building
> non-kernel-related Debian packages for the system, patching as you go.
> (Phase 3 is never done.)
>
> Don't worry about duplicating somebody else's work; the best of both
> will end up used, and at worst you'll learn a lot.  There's no need to
> decide whether to use BSD libc or GNU libc; if you want to try porting
> GNU libc, just go ahead.  If you do a good job your work will be used,
> and adopted into the upstream package; the GNU libc project welcomes
> ports.  Debian GNU/BSD can use as many libc's as there are.  (Cygnus
> newlib might be a good idea too.)

Again, I'll offer to do porting work as soon as anyone can offer me a
remote login on a box to work on. Unfortunately, I don't have any spare
hardware I can toss NetBSD on (having ditched most of it during my last
move), and I'm not really in a position to run out and buy more just for
this project :/
lucifer@lightbearer.com              http://www.lightbearer.com/~lucifer