Re: BSD camp hostility

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 11:48:55PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:30:54PM -0700, Nathan Myers wrote:
> > You must be talking to people who don't code.  All the Linux
> > developers I know speak respectfully of BSD even when they are
> > laughing at the petty spitefulness of its more batshit adherents.
>
> Are you one of the Linux people who doesn't code?  If not then
> using "batshit adherents" when talking about the BSD community
> could place you in with the "current of hostility" that the original
> poster describes.  Don't bash them for having opinions different
> than your own and they won't bash you for yours...  Wait I'm
> starting to sound like my Mom. :)

Some of them will bash us no matter what.

Neither Linux nor BSD adherents are uniform.  Both camps include
batshit wackos and idiots as well as competent developers.  The
cultures differ, though -- the Linux camp is a lot bigger, and
necessarily includes (even proportionally) a lot more idiots.
The BSD camp inherited a culture of spitefulness that Linux seems
successfully to have avoided.

Neither flaw reflects on the quality of the coders or the code.
We can laugh at the fringe nuts and respect each groups' achievements
in the same breath.  To deny either would be dishonest and unhealthy.

Nathan Myers
ncm at cantrip dot org