Re: assimilating OpenBSD

On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 03:14:40PM +0200, Pavel Tcholakov wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 12:27:03PM -0000, Mark Berry wrote:
> > I guess I must say that my main interest is having a distribution that would
> > be Linux-Like with a BSD core.  (Is that silly?)  It's all about
> > consistancy.
>
> I don't know if it's silly, but that's my vision as well. Not exactly
> Linux-like, I'd say Debian-like. I just love the manageability APT + Debian
> Policy give me. If that functionality was available to BSD I would probably
> have switched by now.

It is available, with ports/package system.  And that's getting
stronger now as openpackages advances.

I've used Debian for years, I use and have used FreeBSD for a couple
years, and it's really not terribly different.  Certainly doesn't compare
to the difference between say, Linux and Solaris.

> In the same sequence of thoughts, I think FreeBSD is a better start. It has
> more hardware support and is somewhat more popular so we'll get more
> testers for the distribution. Once we get a stable working system, it will
> be much easier to create an OpenBSD branch as well. Does anybody else share
> this opinion?
>
> I can't help with equipment, though I'm very interested in the development
> of the project as a whole. I'd also suggest that we pick somebody for
> project leader who will manage the tasks and responsibilities.
>
> Pavel.
>

> --

Dan Papasian               | ICQ UIN- 1240015
bugg@sometvshow.com        | AIM-      bugg42

Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded.  Trouble
is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or the fourteenth.
	--George Burns.