Re: Why we should use FreeBSD.

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 10:56:09AM +0530, prasad gadgil wrote:
> well, openpackages.org is to remove the very disadvantage the open/net bsds and
> have a unified collection ain't it :) and as I saw last time the package
> tools maintainers of the *bsd project are listed in that project, I hope
> they achieve the unification
> faster. So , we can expect that disadvantage of netbsd being worked on already.

Hmm?  I'm saying that look at it the other way around- instead
of pushing Debian packages, make one big "OpenPackages" and have
Debian be the linux OS with them.

> >The issue of platform support is very important, but I think, not
> >on that stage. Remember, some time ago Debian/Linux didn't have such a
> >wide platform support.
> >Let's make the system usable at least on i386 and FreeBSD -- then
> >we can think about the others :)
>
> Well I think making code modular and layered (in dependant and independant
> parts)
> even in kernel, as I in my minimal understanding can put it, is what netbsd
> ppl are doing all along.

A very quick reading (only the introduction) of the Complete Design
and Implementation of the 4.4BSD Operating System (A good book for
everyone interested in operating system kernels) will show that
this is a design goal of BSD as a whole.

FreeBSD and NetBSD rank very closely in portability.  There may
be a few more endian issues in FreeBSD, but usually people
are hopefully careful enough to make sure they don't exist.

So yes, NetBSD and FreeBSD are _VERY_ closely related in portability,
but only one has been actually ported to such a large count of
architectures.

> I think, they also replaced the VM subsystem recently, no small a change I
> guess.

FreeBSD would take the cake for "most improved VM system" over the
past year, not NetBSD.  I don't keep up with NetBSD's development
as much, but I do know that.

> >Also, what about voting -- I still think it's good idea to make
> >a poll, and after that start working and give off flaming.
> >Maybe, we can create a web page with a poll system?
> >It would be the simpliest way.
> >Or even ask CmdrTaco to put this poll on Slashdot ;-)
> >
> >--
> >Regards, Wartan.

See my other message for what I feel abou that ;)

--
      Dan Papasian
  (bugg@bugg.strangled.net)

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything
that counts can be counted.
	--Albert Einstein