Re: Is it _really_ dead?

On 10/14 Nathan Hawkins <utsl@quic.net> wrote:
> The biggest problem was that no more than two or three people ever
> really did anything. Everyone else sat around and flamed each other.
> Some people joined the list for the sole purpose of flaming everyone
> else on it, and trying to convince them not to sully the perfection of
> BSD, or Debian. One of the effects was that all the people who were
> really doing anything got tired of being flamed.

I am interested in doing something, but I am swamped with classwork
and other projects right now, which is why I have been lurking. I am
not in a position to take the lead on a project like this, but I am
happy and willing to be a follower. And flamers don't bother me.

> My own interest was in seeing the Debian system ported to the FreeBSD
> kernel, with a glibc port. Unfortunately, I started a new job, and it
> keeps me very busy. I haven't had the time to do any programming for a
> long time. So I tried to help put out some of the flames. I should
> know better than that.

My personal interest would be in the Debian system ported to the
NetBSD kernel, with only a little bit of BSD userland where
neccessary. I have no love for the BSD userland, but the kernel is
nice and hackable.

> I think that maybe the one thing that could stop the flames most
> effectively would be to nicely _ask_ each of the BSD core teams for
> help. (Not necessarily active help, but maybe just toleration and some
> cooperation now and then.) If they're friendly, it kind of gives the
> flamers no leg to stand on, doesn't it? And if they aren't, it means
> that the flamers are probably right, and there would be a fork sooner
> or later. If that's the case, I'd say just give it up.

I think thats a way to start a flamewar on multiple fronts. If you
really want to do that, you need to do it conspiritorially, by
convincing individuals within the core teams that Debian-BSD is the
right thing. Then let them fight your battle. Alternately, we could
take over the userland problem for one of the existing BSDs and not
cause a fork.

> Alternatively, maybe make a list for flames, and a more closed one
> that doesn't allow them. That could make a large difference.

This sort of action makes recruiting people into your project harder.
If your project is a high profile one it can work, because people are
willing to work hard to join. But if it is a normal project (as I
think this one is) then people don't bother expending the effort it
takes to get on development mailing list.

tibbetts

-*- http://www.mit.edu/~tibbetts -*- finger tibbetts@monk.mit.edu -*-