Re: Is it _really_ dead?

The biggest problem was that no more than two or three people ever really did
anything. Everyone else sat around and flamed each other. Some people joined
the list for the sole purpose of flaming everyone else on it, and trying to
convince them not to sully the perfection of BSD, or Debian. One of the effects
was that all the people who were really doing anything got tired of being
flamed.

My own interest was in seeing the Debian system ported to the FreeBSD kernel,
with a glibc port. Unfortunately, I started a new job, and it keeps me very
busy. I haven't had the time to do any programming for a long time. So I tried
to help put out some of the flames. I should know better than that.

I think that maybe the one thing that could stop the flames most effectively
would be to nicely _ask_ each of the BSD core teams for help. (Not necessarily
active help, but maybe just toleration and some cooperation now and then.) If
they're friendly, it kind of gives the flamers no leg to stand on, doesn't it?
And if they aren't, it means that the flamers are probably right, and there
would be a fork sooner or later. If that's the case, I'd say just give it up.

Basically, it's a public relations issue. Such things are becoming more
critical to free software every day. I think the whole KDE/Qt mess  proved that:
Trollsoft ultimately changed their license because it made them look bad, not
because they really understood what the problem was. And that's why companies
like IBM are working hard at figuring out how to get along with the free
software community. Because they don't want any bad press.

Alternatively, maybe make a list for flames, and a more closed one that doesn't
allow them. That could make a large difference.

	---Nathan