Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 10:55:21AM -0500, Dan Papasian wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 09:33:17PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 06:32:35PM -0500, Dan Papasian wrote:
> > > Can you even tell the difference between GNU cp and BSD cp?
> >
> > Yes, no cp -a on FreeBSD (not on 3.3, I just checked).
>
> Do any specifications dictate this feature?  What is it, anyway?
> It has been awhile since I've read the SUSv2 page on cp, but I highly
> doubt it is there.

So what? Linux can't evolve beyond being an implementation of SUSv2?

> Perhaps the GNU people should at least inform people that this is a non-standard
> feature.  Personally, I think it should be axed.. there is nothing
> worse then seeing a linux admin stumble around a UNIX box when he is hired by
> a non-linux-using company....

What, we should all work with the lowest common denominator? Are you using
ed or ex to edit your messages and mailx to read them, on a VT-100 terminal
then? Using plain /bin/sh for your shell? I should hope so with a comment
like that.

Hamish