Re: dselect/dpkg/apt

I recall waay back on Feb 01 when Peter M Kahle wrote:

> Well, on Debian you can use a chrooted environment to simulate (for
> example) the stable distribution on a box with unstable, so is this a
> case where using that jail tool that was mentioned on the list would
> help?

Probably.. the problem is that to build packages you really need to have
things like gcc and the standard libs available. Small chicken and egg
problem... but there's probably a way around it using that nifty unionfs
stuff we have available now =)

I downloaded and installed a file that wasn't likely to conflict with
anything just for testing (dpkg-dev) and it worked. I dpkg -i'd it (of
course I had to use --force-depends) and it's cool:

#] dpkg -l
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge
ii  dpkg-dev       1.4.0.35       Package building tools for Debian Linux

Next problem is to get the build issues resolved I guess. Steve Price
mentioned someone who had built a few packages previously... I guess that
might be the next thing to look at. I tried doing some myself and it came
up with some fun porting-type errors:

dpkg-buildpackage: source package is python
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 1.5.2-6
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Gregor Hoffleit <flight@debian.org>
dpkg: unexpected output from `gcc --print-libgcc-file-name':
 `/usr/lib/libgcc.a'
dpkg: compiler libgcc filename not understood: no gcc-lib component
dpkg-buildpackage: unable to determine build architecture

Interesting. Unfortunately the patches from Steve didn't help too much
with this one =| (or that one didn't apply properly). I can change this
to assume whatever arch I want in the dpkg sources, but I run into some
other things.

Can someone tell me the canonical way to compile a deb from the source
stuff (orig tarball, dsc, diff)? Or point me to a description of how to do
it? I never did figure that out even under Debian _Linux_ ~=)

--
It isn't necessary to have relatives in Kansas City in order to be
unhappy.