Re: Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea

On Sun, 30 Jan 2000, Steve Shorter wrote:

# 	I would like GNU tools, debian package system, debian userland
# with a FreeBSD kernel as an "out of the box" thing.

Which GNU tools would you like on FreeBSD that it doesn't
already provide equivalents for?  You'll find that many of
them _are_ the GNU versions.  The others are functional
equivalents under a different license.  Or is the fact that
they aren't under the GNU license part of the problem?

I did a port of dpkg version 1.4.1.4 about a year ago and
provided it recently to someone else on this list.  I believe
he used it to build a small set of packages but I don't know
where they are.  What about dpkg, apt-get, ... doesn't pkg_*
and the ports collection provide?  They are different
implementations that solve nearly the same set of problems in
virtually the same way.  Their interfaces are different, but I
can't readily think of anything that I can do with Debian's
tools that I can't do with FreeBSD's tools with equal ease.

What does Debian userland provide that FreeBSD and the
ports collection don't?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I've seen these same
words as a part of nearly every thread on this list.  I've
yet to see a quantification of how Debian's userland differs
significantly from FreeBSD's userland or answers to any of
the other questions that I pose.  These are the sort of
questions that need to be answered.  It would be nice to have
a list of goals/objectives for Debian/BSD that shows how it
will combine the best of both worlds.

If you haven't already you might want to install FreeBSD on
a box next to your Debian machine(s) and do a study of how
they differ and what one has that the other doesn't.  I have
Debian on a box here and I'm doing just that. :)

-steve