Re: Debian BSD.. cool idea!

On Sun, Jan 30, 2000 at 03:33:03AM -0600, Dan Potter wrote:
: I recall waay back on Jan 30 when Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
:
: > See, this makes no sense to me.  Having worked on more than a fistfull
: > of UNIX's, I still cannot fathom why Linux does it different from the
: > rest.
: >
: > I also don't see why the main hierarchical tree (/, /usr, ...) should be
: > polluted with code that doesn't come from and isn't maintained by the
: > distributor.
:
: Ahh, but that's just the thing! ;-) All that stuff in the main tree _does_
: come from the distributor -- which in this case is Debian. This is

No, it's bundled by the distributor.  It's not supported by the
distributor and the code is not written by them either.

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 302.593.4322               ||  matter of life or death...
email: darkstar@udel.edu          ||  ...It's much more important