Re: Progres?

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 07:18:52PM +0200, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Piotr Roszatycki wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Gary D. Kline wrote:
> >
> > > 	Mmm, almost biting my tongue since I figured this project
> > > 	was door-nail dead.  Yes, some of us on the FreeBSD side
> > > 	have looked at dpkg; it may well already have been done.
> > >
> > > 	Some months ago I got around 35% finished in porting glibc
> > > 	to FreeBSD, but after several evenings of hacking, this
> > > 	list seemed to die.  So I stopped.
> >
> > Is it necessary to port glibc to FreeBSD? Almost all applications
> > are ported to native libraries.
>
> If we agreed Debian/BSD could be native libraries based, what
> the next step should be?
>
> How to integrate current system of BSD ports with Debian's sources?
> I think we could adaptate a base system to FHS (or Debian Policy)
> and prepare /binary-i386-bsd/base/ directory.
>
> AFAIK GRUB supports FreeBSD so it couldn't be hard.

	You're getting into the level of planning that are beyond
	me right now.  I'm busy with a Light-Sound X Window System
	app begun in 1996 and set to debut sometime *soon*,
	whatever soon is.  Right now, my app works only under BSD.
	Linux is the next step and I'm hoping to install Debian on
	a networked system to do the port.  So, the closer we can
	get Linux and BSD, at least outside the kernel, what a win!

	BSD uses its ports system to install the source code and
	build natively; while Linux seems to install the binaries
	and docs only.  Why not offer the user both?

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix