Re: The project

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 08:04:49AM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> Same goes for FreeBSD.  Many ports have knobs but we only ship
> a package for them with a single set.  You want different ones,
> we either create multple ports (a2ps-${PAPER_SIZE}) or you grab
> the port's sources and tweak them yourself.  We did try once to

Actually we have a nice hack on Debian called libpaper, which allows
us to specify the system default paper size in a file called /etc/papersize.
Most programs respect that. eg I hacked another text to postscript
converter called atp to use it.

> fixup the package building process in bsd.port.mk to allow a
> single port to build multiple packages and it turned out to be
> a huge nightmare that didn't gain us much at all that having
> multiple ports didn't make a ton easier.

We do have multiple .deb files built from a single source package. This
is most often used with libraries -- you get one .deb containing
the library itself, and another containing the files needed for
development -- mostly the include files, libtool .la file etc.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).