Re: The project

According to Hamish Moffatt:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 05:50:00PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> > Linux has a sex appeal that BSD doesn't.  Many of the "newer,
> > intell..." have an easier time equating themselves with Linus
> > (and some want to be just like him), but few see themselves
> > hanging out with a 50+ year old hippy with a gray beard that
> > talks of PDP-11s with great remiss.  I'm 31 so I'm probably
>
> At the same time, I think it's worth noting that Linux has
> the technical substance behind the "sex appeal", unlike Microsoft products.

	Well said.  Unix has generally been seen as a techie's
	haven and scared folks off.  From what I understand about
	GNOME, it will isolate the creative && not technical users
	from the nuts and bolts.  Apple has done this for years.

> > pretty middle of the road here and though I think what Linus
> > has done is great I know he didn't do it alone.  He tends to
> > get the lionshare of the credit though.  Just as Jordan is the
>
> That's true, there are a lot of people who've worked on Linux who don't
> get the credit Linus does. Alan Cox, among others. Cox and others are
> the managers of major subsystems like networking and SCSI.

	Yes, and the same goes for the rest of us who are more
	interested in producing a good end result, or contributing
	to it than baking in the limelight.

	((Parenthetically, what's just happened to `John-John' says
	  it all: life is fleeting; fame is a whisper.  So--))

> > Sounds like a plan.  Who's going to school me on the finer side
> > .deb building?  I'm reading the stuff on the webpages and sucking
>
> Well we have approximately 3000 examples now :-) I've done quite a lot
> of small to medium sized packages so I'll help wherever I can.

	FWIW, I'm ftp'ing glibc now.  Porting is my life; at least
	professionally.  So gotta see how hard it is to port over.
	I ported it (or parts) to my SunOS a few years ago  just to
	see how it was put together.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix