Re: The project

According to Per Lundberg:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Gary Kline wrote:

	[[ paring back the noise; esp'ly since you are on a per-minute
	   line. (used to be same here) ]]

> > 	Do you have a working dpkg that could serve as a port to
> > 	FBSD?
>
> Yes. Since I'm on a "pay-per-minute" connection at home, I couldn't afford
> to get the latest version of everything, so my port is based on 1.4.0.33
> (I think. It's the one shipped with slink)
>
> >       Steve Price (who is on the list) said that he has one almost
> >       ready to go.  Yours, perhaps??
>
> I would gladly upload my patches, yes. Unfortunately, they're at home and
> I'm currently doing my service.. so it'll have to wait until wednesday,
> when I get home next time. Steve, is this okay?
>
> I haven't been able to generate a dpkg package yet since it required TeX
> wich took a while to compile.. (I had to get X up first) but it shouldn't
> be a problem since it compiles and build correctly (except for the
> documentation directory).

	dpkg requires TeX?  (?)  If you need to get everything-TeX
	working, you might check out the tetex port.  I had a miserable
	time with TeX some years ago when I was running SVR4 on my 386;
	with the BSD ``ports'' utilities, it's just make;make install.

	The only gotcha is that the recent a.out -> ELF transition
	means that every dependency must me ELF...

	[[ ... ]]

> It's just a matter of doing a ./configure && make. I think you need
> your /usr/bin/make to be GNU make, however.

	Got it; have had...  .

> + autoconf, automake, m4 and some other stuff.
>
> > 	We've got patch and make (gmake); our make is really pmake,
> > 	the Berkeley parallel make.
>
> Yeah, but it lacks some features necessary to compile most packages.

	Right.  Having used both makes at work (and both GNU and 4.4BSD
	build env's), I've run into the pitfalls.

> > > binutils (the problem was that the make process defaulted to a.out)
> > > gcc (same for this, and is probably easy solved)
> > 	Isn't this just a flag like -ELF or the like?
>
> No, you do something like ./configure --target=i386-debian-freebsdelf. But
> it should definitely be easibly solvable.
>
> > > Any volunteer? :)
> > 	For the next several months I've got little to 0.0 time to
> > 	get into this.  But check with the hackers list first.   Or
> > 	post a note to questions@freebsd.org; somebody there knows
> > 	the details.
>
> I will do this too.
>
> Thank's anyway.

	Here is what I can volunteer for: to ftp home and over to my
	FBSD-3.2 system any packages and mods (like dpkg); these will
	then auto-retrieve the binaries.  I can set up either a
	/usr/local/debian/ binary tree or, more simply, replace the
	existing utilities with the GNU.  My sage@thought.org can
	be a test engine.  If something does die I'll run gdb and
	send the backtrace.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix