Re: Alive?

According to Brent Fulgham:
> > 	Yes, and when the FreeBSD port of dpkg is ready, the
> > 	Debian packaging tools can be use for everything on
> > 	the DebianBSD distribution.
> >
> > 	A lot of work has gone into the FBSD ports suite, and
> > 	it works flawlessly iff you are aware of a few key points.
> > 	But it looks like the Debian suite has had even more
> > 	work.  If it is better, that says it all!
> >
> Well, I'm not sure that the dpkg system is better or worse than
> the BSD ports concept.  As I've mentioned before, the ports
> method has some real advantages for software that benefits
> from machine-specific compiler options.
>
> At any rate, a BSD-dpkg would provide BSD users with an easy
> and MAINTAINABLE way of placing Linux binaries on their system,
> and insuring good interoperation between the BSD/Linux sides
> of their OS...

	All right; so we could use both suites and let our
	users have the flexibility.

	By only gripe about the ports suite came into the glare
	when I upgraded from FreeBSD 2.2.8 to v3.2 recently.
	There a bunch of GNU things that I'd like to install.
	The gnome package(s), for one; and more to the point,
	gIDE.

	The ports method screwed me up (or I screwd up myself,
	perhaps) by having some ports and libraries built the
	old a.out way, and the rest ELF.

	I don't want to spent the hours|days figuring out all
	the dependencies and deleting each and rebuilding....
	....but that's about the only way.

	At least a DebianBSD wouldn't have these problems.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix