Re: Alive?

According to Hamish Moffatt:
> On Thu, Jul 15, 1999 at 10:56:50AM +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
> > As I understood it /compat/linux could be used like the / of a linux
> > box. If a linux program requests a file it will get
> > /compat/linux/foobar or /foobar in that order. I thinks the
> > documentation stated that this was the behavior since FreeBSD 2.2.
>
> Excellent -- that's exactly what I'd hoped it would do.
> Theoretically, then, if we could hack dpkg to pre-pend /compat/linux or
> something similar to every path it extracts from .deb files, we'd
> be done.

	Yes, and when the FreeBSD port of dpkg is ready, the
	Debian packaging tools can be use for everything on
	the DebianBSD distribution.

	A lot of work has gone into the FBSD ports suite, and
	it works flawlessly iff you are aware of a few key points.
	But it looks like the Debian suite has had even more
	work.  If it is better, that says it all!

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix