RE: Alive?

>   What happened to this list?  Seems like the entire
> discussion ended in
>   one usec...
>
>   gary

Sorry Gary.  I'm here, just busy on other things today.

I think we concluded that there were three alternatives that
we might pursue, none of which are mutually exclusive:

1.  A Debian BSD-Kernel package (+necessary infrastructure)
	Level of Effort:  Low, due to BSD's Linux compatibility layer

2.  Port some of Debian's User tools to the BSD platform:
	(E.g., dpkg, apt, etc.)
	Level of Effort:  Moderate.  Some ports already exist, but
	there are sure to be many unforseen porting issues.

3.  Porting the entire Debian distribution to BSD:
	Level of Effort:  Extreme.  Many person-months of effort.

Now, I have a few BSD-Linux compatibility questions:
(1)  If I have a Linux-compatible BSD kernel, can I run BSD and Linux
binaries simultaneously?  I assume you must be able to, because I might
have a BSD Apache running in the background while I play Linux-Quake.
(2)  Are there any Linux Binaries you are aware of that do not work with
BSD?
I mean, why not just run a BSD kernel in the middle of a Debian distribution
and call it a day?  Why the need to port the Linux user space?
(3)  If we ported Debian's packaging tools to BSD, how would you want this
integrated with the rest of the environment?  Should all Linux binaries go
in their own directory someplace?  Should they go right in alongside the
other binaries?
(4)  Would BSD users want to use dpkg just to install Linux binaries?  Or
would the idea be to eventually just use dpkg for BSD binary distribution
as well?  (It's interesting to note that there has been some discussion in
Debian to provide for source downloads via dpkg with local compile -- this
would be especially useful in the case of software that would benefit from
a hardware-specific compile).

Thats all I can think of for now.

-Brent