Re: testing, testing

On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 10:06:54AM +0200, Peter Makholm wrote:
> Did I understand something wrong or did somebody mention a third
> posibillity:
>
> 3. A "Debian compatibillity" suite for FreeBSD
>
> A hacked up dpkg (and friends) to install debian packages cleanly on a
> existing FreeBSD system. (/compat/debian)?

I suggested this. I think this is the most useful of the three options.

> BTW: Does FreeBSD understands ext2fs? I couldn't find it, but then
> again I haven't RTFMed.

Yes, it does; I've got it working here. The GENERIC kernel does not have
it compiled in, though (or it's an LKM). I rebuilt my kernel to add
ext2fs support; the mount_ext2fs program is part of the base system.

Similarly linux can access BSD partitions; from memory they use the
UFS file system. You also need to enable BSD partition table support in
the kernel, since BSD, like Solaris, has its own extended partition type
containing logical partitions.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt VK3SB (ex-VK3TYD).