Re: testing, testing

Brent Fulgham <bfulgham@xpsystems.com> writes:

Please skip this message if you're only interested in new
comments. It's almost only to throw another name on the list.

> 1.  Provide a Debian "BSD Kernel" package.

This is what I wanted in the first place. A bsd-kernel-image-XXX.deb
and the kernel dependent packages. I may be an impossible wish to have
a real BSD/Linux dual boot, sharing the same filesystem but it could be
very cool just to say:

brother@peter > apt-get install freebsd
[.... playing with freebsd ....]

[.... some other day ....]
brother@peter > apt-get install linux
[.... boot and back in the linuxworld ....]

But thats probally just of pure hack value.

A real goal could be to produce a "Debian {BSD,GNU}/{FreeBSD,Linux}"
giving the posibillity to chose the userspace and kernel
independent.

> 2.  Provide a Debian BSD "port".

If FreeBSDs linux compatibility is as good as they say wouldn't this
be wasted resources. The same reason that we're not having an official
i686 port?

Did I understand something wrong or did somebody mention a third
posibillity:

3. A "Debian compatibillity" suite for FreeBSD

A hacked up dpkg (and friends) to install debian packages cleanly on a
existing FreeBSD system. (/compat/debian)?

BTW: Does FreeBSD understands ext2fs? I couldn't find it, but then
again I haven't RTFMed.

--
I congratulate you. Happy goldfish bowl to you, to me, to everyone,
and may each of you fry in hell forever.