Re: FW: testing, testing

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 06:32:59PM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:
> Hamish wrote:

	[[ ... ]]

> > Perhaps standard linux-i386 packages could be installed onto
> > the system (using dpkg/dselect). It would only be necessary to port and
> > hack dpkg to do this.
> >
> I like this idea, too.  It gives the BSD user a clean way of using many
> Linux tools without messing up their standard distribution.

	I think that sharing ideas between Debian and BSD can't help
	but be a win; and in particular, I'd like to see dpkg/dselect
	ported to FreeBSD.  Our ports methology is excellent only if
	the user understand each and every dependency.

	Steve, wasn't someone working on this?

> > Most of this effort is based on the premise that the FreeBSD kernel
> > is better than the Linux kernel. Unfortunately it's hard to comment on
> > that without causing a flamewar :-)
> >
> I'm not sure that's entirely true.  I think that the BSD probably has
> some strengths that would be of use to some people who are very happy
> with the Debian distribution, and might like a BSD kernel for its
> stability/networking strengths, while wanting the Linux user tools.

	Agree.  Contrary to the popular mythology that has Linux <->
	BSD slashing each other, our gains have come from sharing
	ideas.  The people who start their flame-throwers don't have
	anything better to do!  Each project has its strengths.

	gary

--
   Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service Unix