Re: testing, testing

On Mon, Jul 12, 1999 at 06:07:33PM -0700, Brent Fulgham wrote:

> > 	This might be the best way to get off the ground.  I think
> > 	that the FBSD Linux-compat code is very well done.  So far,
> > 	everything that has been in the FreeBSD port tree from
> > 	Linux has worked.  Things like WordPerfect8 ...
> >
> Well, that's an excellent test.  If something as heavyweight as WP8 works,
> then I doubt we'll see many problems.  There might be some problems with
> utilities that work very "close to the metal".
>
> How is the Linux compatibility handled?  Is there already a Libc ported
> to BSD, or does the kernel handle this somehow?

		YEs, glibc (and any other required library) has been
		integrated into the "linux-compat" package.  I believe
		in the newest FBSD, you set a flag in the kernel
		config file or just type ``linux'', and you've got the
		compatibility.  This has been the main point raised
		against having to install Linux to use a given port.

> > 	But as far as I know, no drivers have been ported.  Because
> > 	the Linux kernel seems to be too different, nothing that
> > 	touches the Linux kernel has been attempted.
> >
> Does BSD have the concept of "kernel modules"?  Does everything have to
> be statically compiled into the kernel?

		Yep; as of v 3.0 FreeBSD has lkm's that are loadable
		(dynamically??).  I've just upgraded my second platform
		from 2.X (a.out) to 3.2 (ELF).  Still learning.

> > 	The beneficiaries would be the users.  There is a GNU|Sys5-style
> > 	rc package for FBSD that lies largely unused because the FBSD
> > 	Core group didn't like it.  I understand that there are sysadmin
> > 	packages for Linux that use a GUI  (?) And I'm sure there are
> > 	many other GNU//Linux tools that would benefit the BSD side.
> > 	I'm sure this cross-pollination works the other way, of course.
> > 	Especially in the networking arena....
> >
> Yes -- as we become more familiar with BSD there might be interesting
> tools/features that would be ported in the other direction.  I have to
> admit that I have always had a bit of a soft spot for BSD, being a fellow
> UC alum (although UCSB and UCLA, not Cal....)

		Ah, a brother!  ...Well, we're all kin, I think.
		I'm sure there are other non-kernel and non-networking
		features that shine on the BSD side.  Can't think
		of anything.

> > 	This issue can nearly raise the dead to argue, fight, and
> > 	throw spitballs.  My understanding is limited to thinking that
> > 	the Berkeley license is virtually 100% open.  You've got to
> > 	keep the BSD license clause on every file that carries it,
> > 	but that is as far as my knowledge goes.
> >
> > 	I'm well into my third year of hacking a light-sound X11
> > 	``mind-machine'' application.  Alpha (or pre-alpha) release
> > 	is sometime late this fall.  I'm going to use the GPL when
> > 	I publish this.
> >
> > 	In other words, I have nothing against the Copyleft.
> >
> And Debian has nothing against the BSD license.  We just need to make
> sure that whatever we do doesn't violate the terms of one or the other
> license.  In the case of Device drivers, I worry that there may be
> some GPL 'infection' of the kernel -- which might be another reason that
> Linux drivers have not been ported more quickly.

		Yes, come to think of it, that's what the FBSD Core
		folks say.  I just heave a sigh and go on with my
		life...

		If *this* idea  ever takes off, a DebianBSD version
		wouldn't have these concerns.  Pure BSD code would
		continue its own license; likewise with pure GNU
		code.  Anything that was a combo would carry *both*
		notifications and would really be GPL'd.  Since the
		Berkeley license seems so open I don't see how it
		could be violated....but then, I'm not a lawyer.

> > 	I use my home systems mercilessly, am up always (I have
> > 	twin machines).  In four years I've had exactly 3 crashed
> > 	that were probably kernel-related.
> >
> > 	If you don't need this much stability, then consider that
> > 	the networking code is flawless.
> >
> Can you comment on BSD scalability -- in terms of say multiprocessor
> use, etc.?  I know that's an area in which Linux has had some rather
> public "error reports" lately ;-)  (Mindcraft Survey anyone?)

	Sorry, the multiprocessor code is a black hole to me.
	Best thing would be a note to the questions@freebsd.org
	list.

	gary

--