Re: debian-installer/netcfg: Netplan support feedback

Hi Lukas,

Lukas Märdian <slyon@debian.org> (2024-04-25):
> Turns out d-i was unable to finish the installation, due to
> installability issues of packages in the target system, especially
> systemd-sysv vs libssl3 in this case. The archive is still very much
> in flux and this is probably also why we still see d-i daily build
> failures [0] (but its looking much better already!) and Salsa-CI
> failures for d-i [1].

What I've reported a while back, and what I ended up fixing last week
were all udeb relationship issues making it impossible to build d-i or
to run it (I don't have the details but I'm pretty sure all runtime
issues would already show up at build time anyway, and yes that explains
a lot of red on the d-i daily build graphs).

And yeah, at the moment we end up with a debootstrap problem when
installing trixie, since libssl3 is gone from trixie (except on 32-bit
arms) while coreutils still Pre-Depends on it. That's one blocker I've
just confirmed again, but didn't look for possible others. I haven't
followed recent progress on the 64-bit time_t front, maybe rebuilding
packages within testing might help get rid of such issues, that might
make some other things harder… Seeing how the package in unstable has
DEP-17 changes on top, I'm not sure I want to get involved in the
intersection of two gigantic transitions I'm not knowledgeable about. :/

Installing unstable is more likely to succeed though (as at least a
plain debootstrap sid works, as opposed to a plain debootstrap trixie).

Thanks for the write-up, I'll check it when time permits.

Cheers,