Package-wide changes, intent to revert Standards-Version addition

Hi,

First-off, a general reminder: it would be great if changes affecting
many packages could be discussed on this list before being pushed
across a bunch of repositories. That doesn't mean anyone should be
blocked forever until a number of positive answers are received; merely
that a heads-up can help people suggest different solutions, and
sometimes advise not to implement a given change. And of course, that
lets people know what you're working on.

Now, spotted while working on apt-setup/hw-detect for non-free-firmware
support:

    * Set Standards-Version to 3.8.4 (checked).

I understand the longstanding issue in lintian (#991533, just poked) has
been a pain (especially for those uploading many packages, I fully
acknowledge that!), but adding a field just to work around a bug in
lintian feels wrong. This was discouraged in the thread around [1] last
year.

 1. https://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2022/03/msg00120.html

The aforementioned version is 10+ year old, and I'm not sure how
packages could have been “checked” against it, since udebs are clearly
*not* policy-compliant. So it looks to me that wrong metadata was added
to silence a tool that's wrong in the first place.

I intend to revert those changes; possibly automatically, which might
end up resulting in the relevant entry being dropped from a released
debian/changelog entry if the package has been uploaded already since
the commits in January; while not ideal, I'm not willing to spend much
more time on what's been a huge time sink already.

The only packages where this field makes sense are packages which build
at least one deb binary package (not just udebs). For those, compliance
against current(-ish) Policy should be *actually* checked before adding
this field.

Cheers,