Re: Moving firmware packages from non-free to non-free-firmware

On 17/01/2023 21.49, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
  - firmware-nvidia-gsp, firmware-nvidia-tesla-gsp, and
    nvidia-tesla-470-kernel-support, from nvidia-graphics-drivers*
    source packages; it's been a while since my X days, but I don't
    think firmware packages would be useful on their own, one would
    need to install/build X drivers from non-free as well?

Even with the open source nvidia kernel module (src:nvidia-open-gpu-kernel-modules in contrib) the gsp firmware is (currently) only useful with nvidia driver components from non-free, so there is no point in moving the firmware to non-free-firmware. In case nouveau is going to use the gsp firmware at some point (as Luca mentioned), it will probably have different version constraints than the proprietary driver and will likely require separate packages (which could be in non-free-firmware).

Andreas