Re: installation-guide: simplify RAM/disk space requirements

Holger Wansing, le sam. 05 août 2023 20:46:27 +0200, a ecrit:
> Now looking in the doc source, I see that the "780MB" value from above is
> architecture-dependent too.

Ah, yes, that's part of the lowmem testing.

> While 780MB seems realistic for amd64 to me, I wonder if the other values can
> be up-to-date:
>
> amd64:minimum_memory=780
> arm64:minimum_memory=260
> armel:minimum_memory=80
> armhf:minimum_memory=190
> i386:minimum_memory=485
> mips:minimum_memory=85
> mips64el:minimum_memory=345
> mipsel:minimum_memory=170
> ppc64el:minimum_memory=64
> s390x:minimum_memory=44
>
> In the most eye-catching case of s390x, my proposal would mean, to change
> the value in the guide from 44 to 512MB !
> That leads to the question, if the new situation after my changing would be
> wrong, or if the doc was wrong in the past?

The doc probably just ended up wrong by just not getting updated,
because we don't have people who both care about updating them, and have
access to the hardware or know the qemu tricks to test all archs.

I see that in the lowmem package,
bbb4ed4c4da20d585cf30ceba9f0987173d3ac70 raised the default levels from
32MB/64MB to 120MB/155MB, that being the minimum numbers that were
actually seen to work on at least some arch.

> And, if a generic value for all archs is realistic and makes sense at all?

Probably not, as seen in the values in the lowmem package.

Samuel