[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: Upcoming l10n uploads


Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> (2023-05-16):
> I would propose to wait some days, let's say 5 days (if this timeline
> is fine for you), and then we make a cut and close the window for
> bookworm.

That's fine with me.

> For whatever reason translators come active at the very last this
> time; maybe that's because we have nothing like a string freeze, as
> it was some time in the past.

Given what happened on the grub/grub-installer front, I'm not sure a
string freeze is something we could enforce: dealing with possible
“neighbor” operating systems as always been brittle as far as I
understood it, with os-prober doing its best to spot them, but also
triggering side effects. Disabling it altogether upset users (which
I found understandable), so we had to try and come up with a solution
to accommodate for those use cases, while also finally limiting side
effects on virtualized environments.

Enforcing a string freeze would have meant not being able to address
those issues.

That being said, I don't think we've had many *changes* to existing
strings, even less so late in the release cycle.

So if that looks like a plan to you, we could decide to announce a
string freeze, maybe matching a given freeze milestone[1], to resume
sending a signal to translators. We should probably add some kind of
warning or disclaimer, saying we shouldn't have changes to existing
translations, but that some additions might still happen if absolutely
required (which was the case for grub/grub-installer this cycle).

 1. https://release.debian.org/testing/freeze_policy.html

What do you think?

> A very significant part of development happens at the very end of
> the development cycle in d-i, if not during freeze. Which can be
> considered as a kind of ignorance regarding translations.

I can't speak for others, but I can guarantee you I'm very well aware
of what translation work looks like, what coordination work probably
looks like (I haven't done that for l10n myself, but I do a fair bit
in other areas)… and that I've tried to communicate that to my fellow
developers when those string additions came up. And I also had that in
mind when I added some myself (non-free-firmware related, even if only
shown in expert mode), with a freeze already started.

And yet, I work on the installer when I can and/or when I must. And
yes, that's usually late in the release cycle. :/ I suppose everyone
has their own constraints and nobody really wants to hurt l10n

> Anyway, we can take it as it is, and to make the best of this,
> postpone the latest uploads as much as we can. Thus, my best plan
> would be to start with the last round of l10n uploads during the
> coming weekend.
> How does that sound?

Whatever works for you is going to work for me!

We'll see how the discussion with the release team goes (in a few
days), and what the final timeline for l10n uploads will look like.
I didn't think much about RC 4 yet, my only focus until today was
releasing RC 3 (and not screwing up the debian-cd part). ;)

Cyril Brulebois (kibi@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>
D-I release manager -- Release team member -- Freelance Consultant

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply to: