Re: Report on bookworm alpha 2 installer: wl wifi driver not found

Hi,

raph <debian@marvie.eu> (2023-02-26):
> Cyril Brulebois writes:
> > Are you sure that was about the driver (kernel module) rather than
> > about firmware?
>
> H,, look this is beyond my current knowledge to answer.

Thanks for the logs, that seems to be a *module* issue rather than a
firmware issue, and your subject (about wl) seems absolutely on point.

The relevant part of the installer's syslog is:

    Feb 26 08:50:50 kernel: [   28.095391] b43-phy0: Broadcom 4360 WLAN found (core revision 42)
    Feb 26 08:50:50 kernel: [   28.095805] b43-phy0 ERROR: FOUND UNSUPPORTED PHY (Analog 12, Type 11 (AC), Revision 1)
    Feb 26 08:50:50 kernel: [   28.095810] b43: probe of bcma0:1 failed with error -95
    Feb 26 08:50:50 kernel: [   28.095839] Broadcom 43xx driver loaded [ Features: PNLS ]

after a few lines about bcma-pci-bridge.

So your board is definitely detected, there's a module that tries to do
something with it, but fails…

> A few month ago, I tried to move this machine to testing. But like with
> a previous debian install, when moving to testing the network stopped
> working. I do not know if this is important / related or not.
>
> Tell me I can do anything else to help.
>
> This machine is ok with buster, but I can back it up and try a complete
> install when/if needed to contribute.

All files are super useful. The installer logs (meaning bookworm kernel)
are about bcma/b43. Those don't appear in your list of buster modules,
which contains “wl” instead. A quick search on bcma and wl suggests that
they might fight each other, at least in some kernel versions:
  https://askubuntu.com/questions/592191/error-during-startup-b43-phy0-unsupported-phy

Checking the contents of current nic-wireless-modules udebs, we do ship
bcma.ko, but not wl.ko, so that's not about a competition between both
modules (at least in the installer context).

Now, looking at kernel sources, I'm not seeing any broadcom-wl driver in
mainline. Did you install a specific module on your buster system to get
wireless up and running?

I'm seeing a broadcom-sta source package that builds broadcom-sta-dkms
and broadcom-sta-source, I suppose that's what you might be using on
buster, after a successful wired install, maybe? At least your board
(4360) is listed in its description.

It's a binary-only driver so that's not something we include in the
installer, and if the above analysis is correct, I'm not sure we can do
anything about it. :(

Cheers,