Re: bookworm release date?

Hey folks,

Cyril and I are in broad agreement on stuff, just adding a couple of
points...

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 11:44:47PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
>Hi Paul,
>
>Paul Gevers <elbrus@debian.org> (2023-02-17):
>> Yes, I know the debian-installer is not a done deal, so kibi, please
>> let us know where you think we stand with d-i (briefly is OK, I know
>> you normally report extensively elsewhere) and when you think d-i can
>> realistically be in a releasable state. (Saying: "in June" is fine,
>> than we can plan accordingly).
>
>----BEGIN VERY WILD GUESS----
>
>With a release going out this week-end, I think the next one with
>bugfixes or improvements based on user or developer feedback couldn't
>happen before 2 weeks. And I'd expect 2 more releases after that to iron
>things out, with at least 1 week between each.
>
>That'd mean end of March, beginning April at the soonest.
>
>Depending on what we encounter, and possible changes in other packages
>in the archive, we might have various delays, so it's probably best to
>add 2-4 extra weeks to that.

+1

>I'll let Steve comment on the bootloader aspect (brand new shim just
>arrived, not sure how much time / how many iterations we might need to
>get it in shape for bookworm; plus we've gotten some fixes in grub but I
>think some further changes are planned).

Exactly. I'm just doing the packaging updates for shim-signed now, and
obviously I'll be doing a lump of testing too. I don't expect any more
updates for *shim* itself before bookworm, but there might be a couple
of rounds of bugfixing and testing for shim-signed here.

Grub could do with a bit more effort. There are a few edge-cases I'd
like to pick up on, and (as you know!) quite a few RC bugs yet. Now we
have a working arm64 shim, I suspect there will be a little more work
needed to validate arm64 SB; I think we might be missing some needed
patches there. Maybe 3-4 weeks for grub stuff altogether </handwave>.

You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me