Re: Net boot auto install failure with "No device for installation media was detected"

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 06:26:09AM -0700, Shane Gibson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 11:17 PM Geert Stappers <stappers@stappers.nl>
> wrote:
>
> > > "No device for installation media was detected."
> >
> > My guess:   New hardware.
> >

> Thx for the response - I do appreciate.  The device being installed is a
> virtual machine in KVM, which has deployed previous Debian distros without
> issue.  I believe the "installation media" not being detected is related to
> changes between Buster and Bullseye - but I can't seem to find any
> changelogs on what has changed.

 ;-)

> > Please report back how a manual install goes.  As in: Share with the
> > community wether or not it is a netboot / preseed problem.
> >

> Manual installation from the same ISO works fine.

Check the install logs of that succesfull installation.
Pay special attention to the storage device.

Rerun the preseeded installation where the
> > > d-i partman-auto/disk string /dev/sda
> > > d-i grub-installer/choose_bootdev select /dev/sda
> > > d-i grub-installer/bootdev string /dev/sda
has the /dev/sda replaced with information from the succesfull install.
I do recall something like /dev/xda seen on a VM.  I might be wrong
about that. If it works report back.  If it doesn't work surely report
back with install logs of both (the succesfull manual one and the failed
preseed one).

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--