Re: Net boot auto install failure with "No device for installation media was detected"

On 7/21/2022 5:02 AM, Shane Gibson wrote:
Greetings,

We have an automated installation system that has been humming along
beautifully from Debian 6 through 10.  Recently attempted to add support of
net boot/pxe and autoinstall via d-i of Debian 11.4.0.  Our current Boot
arguments and preseed config is producing a stop error of:

"No device for installation media was detected."

I saw notes that there should be netinst changes to boot and preseed
directives - but I have been unable to unearth the changes.   Any pointers
to documentation about the boot and preseed directive changelog changes, or
any other hints related to this error message are greatly appreciated.   To
date, I've spent a couple of days grubbing through searches, doc reading,
etc... no dice.

I'm not quite sure to understand your set up, so my answer/feedback
might not be what you are looking for.

PXE booting will use the network to boot the machine and preseeding to
install Debian.
You could use a cacher proxy (EG: 'apt-cacher-ng') to avoid fetching
everytime from the internet.

To me the issue you are seeing might be coming from the fact that you
are exploding/using an ISO file in the first place.

--
John Doe