Re: Re: Re: Re: Issue with preseeded install - cannot skip apt media scanning

On Thu, Oct 27, 2022 at 07:53:06AM +0200, Jerzy Patraszewski wrote:
> After some fiddling around, I think the logic is somehow broken. I might be
> wrong, but when mirror is defined (use_mirror=true) and network is
> configured (no_network is undef) than mirror-based install should take
> precedense over the cd/dvd, right? Therefore the 50mirror should be renamed
> to be before 40cdrom and 41cdset (and simple check should be done to skip
> media checks at all for apt-setup). Is there any reason to maintain the
> current sequence?
>
> Rgrds,
> Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

Not an expert - but I do a bunch of installs with the media team when we
do releases. The only corner case I can think of is when you install from
a .iso image like a DVD / BD.

In that instance, you're installing from CD media that is not a netinst -
most of the packages will be pulled first from the DVD and updates will
be pulled from the network after that, I think. It's one of those things
that I always notice after the fact because the cdrom entry is uncommented
at the top of /etc/apt/sources.list.

It's an odd case - but it might be the sort of thing that you would do
where you want to do a relatively complete install but your local
network bandwidth is low / intermittent.

The interaction of all the cases in preseed is the combinatorial explosion :(

All the very best, as ever,

Andy Cater