Re: Debian Installer Bookworm Alpha 1 release

On 25 Sept 2022, at 18:32, Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2022-09-26, Bo YU wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 11:27 AM Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
>>> The Debian Installer team[1] is pleased to announce the first alpha
>>> release of the installer for Debian 12 "Bookworm".
>>> * flash-kernel:
>>>    - Skip flash-kernel in all EFI systems.
>>>    - Add support for ODROID-C4, -HC4, -N2, -N2Plus (#982369).
>>>    - Add Librem5r4 (Evergreen).
>>>    - Add SiFive HiFive Unmatched A00 (#1006926).
>>>    - Add BeagleV Starlight Beta board.
>>>    - Add Microchip PolarFire-SoC Icicle Kit.
>>>    - Add MNT Reform 2.
>>
>> I am wondering what else needs to do for riscv64 here. Now, We often
>> do this by making
>> riscv64 rootfs tarball and then flash into sd/ssd on real hardware,
>> like Unmatched boards.
>>
>> There may be some work to be done here, but there doesn't seem to be enough
>> documentation to indicate this. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> I've added some platforms for armhf and arm64; I could take a stab at
> adding support for the Unmatched boards. I think all the pieces (debian
> kernel, debian u-boot, debian opensbi, flash-kernel support) are all
> present, and I have a board to test with. Unfortunately, I'm a bit short
> on time ... might be able to squeeze it in October or November, though
> that's getting a bit late for bookworm freeze.
>
> Not sure on other boards.
>
> Another approach would be to add support for EFI, if there is support
> for grub-efi-riscv64; some of the vendor u-boot platforms probably
> support EFI, even if u-boot support isn't in Debian.
>
> I think Ubuntu is using the EFI support on some riscv64 platforms, so it
> must be theoretically possible, at least.

As far as I know they’re all configured to, and we should be pushing to
make sure they continue to, especially as it requires basically no
effort from them other than enabling a config option. Other operating
systems, both Linux and non-Linux, use, or even require, UEFI support
for booting. If all the major distros only provide UEFI-using media
then the path of least resistance for vendors will be to use that
rather than other pre-U-Boot UEFI support Linux-specific boot methods.
Let’s not repeat the arm and arm64 histories a third time.

Jess