Re: Problem preseeding wifi password

On Thu 11 Nov 2021 at 06:41:04 +0100, Geert Stappers wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 06:08:22PM -0800, VDRU VDRU wrote:

[...]

> > And, preseeding just a wpa password fails in all cases.
>
> That is unexpected.
>
> Disclosure:
> I myself never did preseed WIFI password.
> (and didn't noticed previous reports about it not working)
>
> I hope that this messages triggers  "works for me" notifications.

It is assumed something like 'cp <ISO> /dev/sdX' has been used to write
to the USB stick.

I successfully preseed with

 d-i netcfg/wireless_show_essids select manual
 d-i netcfg/wireless_essid string Horizon
 d-i netcfg/wireless_security_type select wpa
 d-i netcfg/wireless_wpa string JYWw2Dx0gy56TJmiP0r8JlHvhs4gm0Q8LgoHuaCGOhOrZAPFLLMBidUFaq7B9Z7

The WAP uses TKIP.

> > Another discovery I made is that the wifi device wants nonfree
> > firmware "rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin". If I copy
> > "rtlwifi/rtl8192cufw.bin" to the root dir of the usb stick, the
> > installer fails to find it when I select yes. If I unplug the usb
> > stick and connect it in a different usb port and select yes again, the
> > installer finds it but sometimes takes a few tries. Maybe it's a good
> > idea to have the installer automatically check the root dir of the usb
> > it booted from for any missing firmware before asking the user for it?
>
> I can't tell if effects the problem from the subject line.

Neither can I, but it's a possibility, I suppose. My preseed.cfg has

 # Provide non-free firmware files directly to the installer. It now
 # does not need to search for them in other packages.
 d-i preseed/early_command string        \
     cp -a /hd-media/files/firmware /lib

Not much use to VDRU VDRU as it stands (I use hd-media for installing),
but copying can be done from a labelled partition on a USB stick.

--
Brian.