Re: Problem preseeding wifi password

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 10:07:41AM -0800, VDRU VDRU wrote:
>Hi.
>
>Using the Debian testing net installer iso. I have a wifi password
>that is 60 chars long that contains underscores. When I preseed it
>with "d-i netcfg/wireless_wpa <password>", the installer spits out an
>error that the password is either too long (>64 chars) or too short
>(<8 chars). Neither is true and if I enter it manually instead of
>preseeding it, there's no problem. I have tried preseeding the
>password with and without quotes around it with no success. The only
>thing that comes to mind is maybe the underscores (or special chars in
>general) are not handled correctly by the installer..? I'm not sure a
>bug report is warranted just yet so I'm hoping to get feedback on the
>above before going that route.

Hmmm, that's odd. I have to ask - does your long password contain
quotes (' or ") or $ symbols? Although the netcfg code here is in C,
it may end up using backend interfaces that might be confused by those
special characters. I have not tested this locally, but that would be
my immediate suspicion based on what you're describing...

"Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy because you have
 nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free
 speech because you have nothing to say."
   -- Edward Snowden